By Lisa Walker
Many seniors would prefer to enjoy retirement in their own homes. But the risk of falling at home might worry their families. With home modifications completed by contractors like Taylor Made Custom Contracting, seniors can rest assured that they will be safe at home during their golden years. Furthermore, we’ve gathered resources packed with practical tips on fall prevention for seniors who intend to age in place.
Home modifications are the key to eliminating fall risks around the house. Here’s how to modify a home to minimize hazards.
- Research popular home modifications for seniors that can help remove potential fall risks, like handrails, roll-in showers, and automatic door openers and closers.
- Find a contractor who specializes in designing homes for aging in place.
- Additionally, some seniors will benefit from using a mobility aid to get around the house.
- Remember, some modifications can boost your home’s appraisal value, like kitchen and bathroom upgrades.
Seniors can practice healthy lifestyle habits to improve their balance and build their strength.
- Regular exercise can help seniors improve their overall health and reduce their risk of falling at home!
- Eating a nutritious diet is also key to avoiding injuries.
- Even wearing the right shoes can be very helpful for avoiding falls – slipping with the wrong footwear can be dangerous.
Finding In-Home Care
Sometimes, in-home care is necessary for seniors to age in place without risking injury.
- Hiring in-home care has lots of benefits, and most importantly, a caregiver will be able to ensure that your loved one is safe.
- If your loved one will require a certain level of in-home care, think carefully about which type of caregiver would be best suited for their needs.
- Interview several caregivers before making a final decision on who to hire.
Aging in place is a great option for many seniors, but families need to take proper precautions to protect their senior loved ones from falls. From home modifications to beneficial lifestyle habits, there are plenty of things seniors can do to avoid falls. By following these tips, seniors will be able to feel truly safe and secure at home.
Home modifications can help seniors age in place safely. Taylor Made Custom Contracting can take on home remodeling projects for seniors. Call us today at 410-557-0322 to learn more about our services!
Read more about Lisa Walker at neighborhoodsprout.org
Photo via Pexels
WANT TO LEARN MORE?